Sunday, February 1, 2009

marmalade

I will be the first to admit that I don't like preserves much, and I most definitely would not eat a piece of toast with jam or jelly of any sort. The exceptions are my mother's strawberry freezer jam, which I made several batches of this past summer, and a select few I've purchased over the years, such as American Spoon varieties. Since I don't eat them on toast, one might wonder how it is that I do eat them. I've always loved a spoonful with vanilla ice cream, and on warm biscuits (I still prefer honey on these), but over the past several years I have started eating preserves with Greek yogurt for breakfast. I love this so much that I have mostly given up eating the pre-flavored yogurt varieties in favor of mixing my own. Jon likes preserves of all sorts, and eats them on pretty much anything. He likes orange marmalade, which I have never liked. A few weekends ago, looking for a Sunday afternoon project, I was inspired by Martha Stewart's January 2009 issue, which had a section devoted to marmalades. Given that I had a gigantic bowl full of a variety of citrus, I decided to make a blood orange/tangelo/orange variety, with meyer lemons. I am now a marmalade convert, and the recipe made a huge batch of marmalade, with only a handful of citrus. We ate it with cheesecake, and of course I have been eating it with yogurt. I am now a complete convert! Since the orange recipe, I have also made a bath of this.


No comments: