Tuesday, December 18, 2012

An Ode to Braised Meat

I have long loved braised meats, or any manner of cheap/fatty cut which requires long cooking in a large pot.  Until recently, though, it had been awhile since I cooked anything.  I think because I think of braises as cold-weather foods, and, although many will disagree, I don't feel San Francisco is ever cold.  Chilly, yes, but not really cold, like an East Coast fall or winter.  Lately, though, it has been endlessly rainy and very cold, as in 40s cold, and for weeks on end.  I finally had to shut my windows at night, and turn the heat on (gasp!).  Thus, the braising.  I should admit that it was initiated by a late Friday evening venture into the Salumeria to buy dinner.  Given the time, there weren't many options, outside of a large, delicious looking osso bucco.  Thus began the braising.  Although I got into a slight bit of trouble for providing dinner close to 11, it was a huge hit.  Capped off by slurping up the marrow from the large veal bone.  Despite the reminder of work (another topic entirely), it was amazing; I adore bone marrow, of any kind.  I ended up reusing the braising liquid for a large beef shank I bought the following week, which, though tasty, was not quite as good.

Then there was the carnitas; amazingly simple, I had no idea.  Who knew milk, stock and an orange could generate such a beautiful pot of perfectly caramelized meat?  Then last night, there were pork ribs.  I am a fan of the braise, no question.  See attached recipes, no modifications.

Osso Buco
Pork Carnitas
Orange and Soy-Pork Ribs


No comments: