Thursday, May 14, 2009

Happiness = an egg on top

Nothing is more thrilling than an egg on top. It sounds odd, but putting an egg on top of an otherwise basic dish really turns it into something special. The penultimate 'egg on top' dish is the Korean bibimbop. I distinctly remember the first time I encountered this particular dish. I was in college, and a woman I worked with picked it up for lunch. At the time I had little exposure to ethnic food outside of greasy Chinese, having grown up in the rural Midwest where ethnic food meant Italian. Imagine my mother's shock when I came home requesting hummus, which I was first exposed to at my dorm cafeteria. When I saw Kristin eating the bibimbop, not only did I think it looked odd, but it did not smell remotely appealing. Then, somehow, the third or fourth time she ate it I suddenly acquired a craving. As takeout goes, this is as good as it gets. I like to eat it in or out, vegetarian or not, and I love the kimchi and other sides that come with it. I love it so much that I rarely stray from this menu item, which is atypical. However it's done, it has to have the egg on top. I eat an egg on top of greens, lentils, pasta and rice dishes. I like eggs in any format, but when it's on top, it has to be sunny-side up. Happiness on a plate.

No comments: