Tuesday, June 30, 2009

fenneled beets

I discovered a new beet recipe. Many, many recipes pair roasted beets with a minted viniagrette, and I can see why. I've substituted parsley, or other fresh herbs I have on hand, but it's just not the same. I've been eyeing this recipe from Deborah Madison for beets with fennel vinaigrette, but I so love the minted beets that I have been unable to stray from my old stand-by. I somehow acquired a large supply of beets in my drawer, so I finally tried the new recipe. An extremely simple recipe, and a completely different tasting one. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the beets acquire a flavor that is greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe it's the sherry vinegar???

Roasted beets with anise vinaigrette, adapted from Deborah Madison
1.5lbs. beets (I used a combination of yellow, purple and chiogga)
salt & pepper
1t. anise seeds
1 garlic clove
2t. sherry vinegar
2T. olive oil

Preheat oven to 375deg F. Peel beets and cut into 1/2in. dice. Toss with a sprinkling of olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake until beets begin to caramelize, and are tender, around 35 minutes. Crush anise seeds with garlic clove and a pinch of salt. Whisk in vinegar and olive oil. Pour vinaigrette over beets and marinate for several hours or overnight (this really makes a huge difference).

No comments: