Saturday, June 27, 2009

spring-early summer ice creams

I hauled out my ice cream maker recently, in a blatant attempt to demonstrate to Jon that ours is in desperate need of replacement. When we received it as a gift nearly 10 years ago, it seemed to be a complete extravagance - who really makes their own ice cream? Apparently, us. We have used it so much that the container is warped to the extent tht the top barely manages to stay on when it's churning, and we long ago had to tape down the button with packaging tape. Last year, Jon ordered a new blade to replace the one that had cracked and been repaired with duct tape (this was sweet, but also irritating, since this was one of my arguments for replacing the machine). So far this spring, I have made three ice creams; fresh mint, strawberry and mint/basil. There really is something special about homemade ice creams. Last year we developed a chocolate-strawberry-balsamic recipe, inspired by a gelato we used to purchase at Zingerman's. I am going to make it this year with my strawberry jam - hopefully it turns out as good. Tonight I am eating the strawberry, and thinking that it would make a good combination with the mint/basil in the freezer.

No comments: