Sunday, August 9, 2009

pick-your own fruit

I spend half the summer trying to figure out when and where to pick fruit that I can stock-pile in the basement freezer for the winter, to make jams, and to generally eat copious amounts of fruit without feeling guilty over the amount of money I've just consumed in a very short timespan. I am fully aware that between the 2 of us, no matter how much fruit we purchase, we seem to eat all of it within 2-3 days of purchase (this is a generous estimate). This doesn't so much apply to apples and oranges in the winter, but all forms of berries and stone fruit during the short growing season. In Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire there are many, many fruit and vegetable farms. This is a wonderful thing. However, I have several qualifications for a topnotch, visit-every-year (or multiple times per year) farm. It seems simple, but I want to pick great fruit at reasonable prices at a farm that is focused on growing produce, not on 'agritainment'. A nice produce stand is a plus, but not necessary. Many places I have found are more of a novelty, where people drop by on there way home from the beach to pick a pint of raspberries. Many of these places also are more focused on entertaining families, with petting zoos, ice cream stands and hayrides. I can understand the rationale; these farms are trying to make money, and set themselves apart from the other farms. However, I want to pick lots of fruit, and therefore don't want to pay grocery store (or more) prices, since I am picking it myself. I know I am getting better fruit, but there should be some discount for labor. I love to see families picking fruit together; it's a great learning experience as well as a productive activity. But, if the fruit picking part is more of a sideshow to the ice cream stand, I would rather not deal with these people. Anyhow, as I visit more of these places, these are my favorites:

Verrill Farm, Concord MA
We went strawberry picking here; the strawberries were amazing and well priced. And this was in a year where we had a solid month of rain and no sun. I would imagine other years are even better. The farm stand also had great vegetables; we purchased chiogga beets, bunches of radishes and some great greens. Concord is a beautiful area, and a nice place to have lunch/shop on your way home. Also near De Cordova Sculpture Park and Museum.
Brooksby Farm, Peabody MA
We picked apples and strawberries here. Great location, well-priced fruit.

TBD
Smolak Farms, North Andover MA
This farm lists daily picking conditions on their website. We are planning to pick peaches here in a few weeks. The are planning to have sour cherries in 2010! This would be a miracle.

Farm stands:
Green Meadow Farms, South Hamilton MA
Everything at this farmstand is wonderful. They have a CSA, and carry loads of veggies.

No comments: