Sunday, August 9, 2009

porch tomatoes



Tomato blight? Not my tomatoes. My six heirloom plants, purchased as seedlings from the Seed Savers Exchange, are doing amazingly well. It seems that the combination of big pots, miracle grow soil, watering daily, and the porch roof locating works. I did have a minor catastrophe when I had to retroactively put the cages on (note to self: next year do this early, when the plants are small). Several of the vines split, and I had to mend them with tape. It sounds ridiculous, but they really do heal themselves and all of my taped vines survived. It does make me wonder how it is that a plant can produce a fruit that it can't seem to bear the weight of without human intervention....... Some plants seem to be more prolific producers than others, but I am keeping a tab on the tomato yield per plant:

Amish Paste: 6
Brandywine Sudduth: 1
Trophy : 5
Green Zebra: 5
Hungarian Heart: 3
Unknown (lost label): 2

As of now, there are 50+ green tomatoes out there, and ~10 turning pink or orange. I love climbing out onto the roof and monitoring the tomatoes every day. Jon makes fun of me, but I really love those tomatoes.

















No comments: