Friday, April 10, 2009

gardening

They arrived in the mail today; their names are otto, tom, ruby, red, sherry and............This is my third effort at vegetable gardening. The results of my first effort were 2 very tall and weedy tomato plants that failed to bear any semblance of fruit. It really wasn't a very strong effort on my part in that I essentially stuck the plants in 2 pots in a mostly shady spot by the garage and forgot about them until late summer when I noticed that they were still there and somehow expected fruit. Late last summer I planted a few herbs in pots by a sunny window, and these faired somewhat better. My current effort involves a two-pronged approach of starting herbs from seeds, and the tomato plants, which arrived in the mail today. I feel I may have over watered the herbs, but they don't appear to be too drowned (yet). The thyme is the first to come up, but there is still no sign of the basil, mint or lavender. The tomatoes need to be transplanted to bigger pots this weekend, and I'll continue to grow them inside until it warms up more permanently (does this really exist here?).

No comments: