Saturday, April 4, 2009

Meatloaf

I hated meatloaf as a kid; I also hated meatballs in any format (swedish, barbeque, with spaghetti). However, as an adult I have discovered that I love both, so long as they are good. I have made several, and the best ones have some complexity to them, such as fruit, nuts, or a combination of meats, and I definitely don't like them to be too heavy/leaden. A basic recipe is also quite good, but I really loved both the recipes I made recently, apricot turkey meatloaf and this rustic french meatloaf. Meatballs are a bit more finicky, but meatloaf is a great dish to make on a Sunday and eat through-out the week, since a single loaf goes a long way. For dinner all one needs is a vegetable side, and though you can eat it cold, I prefer it pan-fried in a bit of olive oil, or warmed in the toaster oven for a few minutes. I haven't quite come around to eating a meatloaf sandwich, but we'll see.

No comments: