Sunday, April 26, 2009

tabbouleh

I recently bought one too many bunches of parsley. I had forgotten that I had most of a bunch at home when I bought the second, and then my sister gave me most of her leftover bunch after using the couple of tablespoons she had needed for a recipe. She also gave me some mint. What to do with all of this parsley? Tabbouleh. I developed a taste for middle-eastern food when I worked at a lebanese restaurant in college; I still remember the special wrapped sandwich the cook would make me when I left for the day - vegetarian grapeleaves, baba gannoush, hummus, tabbouleh and broken up pieces of freshly fried falafel (this sandwich was not on the menu). It was a huge sandwich, which I could eat for 2 meals, although it wasn't as good the next day. So, presented with an overload of parsley, I made tabbouleh. It was easy, healthy, and delicious, and I decided I should make it more frequently. I am really hoping my mint grows like crazy!

Tabbouleh
2C. finely chopped parsley
1/2C. finely chopped mint
1/2C. bulgar
2T. lemon juice
1-2 chopped tomatoes
2-3T. olive oil
1/2t. salt

Boil ~2C. water; pour over bulgar, cover and let sit 15 minutes. While bulgar is sitting, chop parlsey, mint and tomato, and combine in a bowl with lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Drain bulgar and add to parsley mixture; mix well, and eat. It tastes better after sitting, either at room temperature or in the fridge, for 30minutes.

No comments: